DVM/MPH Degree Program
The Public Health Program offers a dual DVM/MPH degree program for DVM students enrolled at the Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine.
Adding the MPH to your DVM degree positions you to work at the interface of human and animal health, which could include addressing complex agriculture and food industry concerns, controlling and preventing emerging zoonotic diseases, managing laboratory animal facilities and diagnostic laboratories, and responding to acts of bioterrorism.
For those interested in public or corporate practice, the MPH degree is the most widely sought addition to the DVM for governmental careers. For those interested in livestock practice, the focus on prevention, health and food safety at the herd level uses the same skills taught in the MPH for managing health in any population. For companion animal practice, the One Health approach recognizes the importance of human-animal connections in optimizing health.
Not currently a DVM student?
For those that are not a current DVM student, the MPH is an excellent degree to prepare for a DVM degree. We have had students from both MPH concentrations subsequently accepted into veterinary colleges here and elsewhere in the US after completing their MPH.
- DVM/MPH students graduate with both degrees in four years.
- DVM/MPH students have the option to start taking MPH courses in the summer sessions before or after DVM Year 1. We are happy to talk with you about the advantages and disadvantages of both options.
- DVM/MPH students will also take MPH courses during DVM Year 3 and in the summer sessions after DVM Year 3.
- DVM/MPH students pursue the infectious disease concentration of the MPH program. This concentration grounds students in the principles of infectious disease, focuses on neglected and emerging infectious diseases, and builds skills in infectious disease epidemiology and infection control and prevention.
Only current and admitted VMCVM DVM students should apply to the DVM/MPH program.
To take Summer Session MPH courses pre-DVM Year 1:
- If you would like to start taking MPH courses in the summer sessions before DVM Year 1, please apply to the MPH program by April 15 before starting the DVM program in the fall.
To take Summer Session MPH courses after DVM Year 1:
- January 5
- Online application.
- The Virginia Tech Graduate School waives the application fee for prospective students that meet certain criteria. The waiver criteria and waiver application can be found here.
- Personal statement, 1-2 pages, uploaded in the online application.
- Resume or CV, uploaded in the online application.
- Transcripts from any institution other than Virginia Tech from which you received or expect to receive a degree. Please upload scans of your transcript in the online application. Please mail or email your official transcripts to the department.
- 1 academic or professional letter of recommendation, to be completed in the online application, or mailed or emailed to the department.
When possible, application materials should be submitted electronically. If you need to submit paper materials, please send them to:
Population Health Sciences (0442)
205 Duck Pond Drive
Blacksburg, VA 24061