Graduate Certificate in Public Health
Our program offers a Graduate Certificate in Public Health. The certificate is an 16 credit (six courses listed below) online and/or in person program that includes the core courses in our Master of Public Health (MPH) degree program. The Graduate Certificate in Public Health is helpful to non-degree seeking students who have completed an undergraduate degree in a related discipline and want to demonstrate content competence in public health. The certificate is also helpful to current graduate students at Virginia Tech from another discipline that want to gain essential public health knowledge to complement their other disciplinary area.
Public Health Graduate Certificate course requirements (courses can be completed in person or online):
- PHS 5004 Foundations of Public Health (1 credit)
- PHS 5025 Epidemiology and Quantitative Methods in Public Health I (3 credits)
- PHS 5026 Epidemiology and Quantitative Methods in Public Health II (3 credits)
- PHS 5044 Public Health Policy and Administration (3 credits)
- PHS 5034 Health Behavior and Health Education (3 credits)
- PHS 5014 Environmental Health (3 credits)
For individuals currently pursuing a Virginia Tech graduate degree:
- Students pursuing a degree and a certificate simultaneously are classified within their degree program. Academic background meets the requirements of the admitting academic unit.
- Certificate credits may be used to meet degree requirements if they are appropriate for inclusion on the degree Plan of Study.
For individuals not currently pursuing a Virginia Tech graduate degree:
- Undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university
- GPA of 3.0 or above for the last 60 hours/credits of the undergraduate degree
- Prospective students from countries where the native language is not English: TOEFL score of 80
If you are a current Virginia Tech graduate student, complete the Graduate Certificate Application form here.
- The form should be completed by the student and then submitted to Becky Jones (firstname.lastname@example.org) for signatures and processing.
If you are not currently working toward a degree at Virginia Tech, please apply to the certificate program using the directions below:
- Apply online here.
- Create a user account
- Fill out sections 1 (profile) and 2 (academic history)
- Fill out section 3 (application) by selecting “Create a New Application”
- Application type: First Time Graduate Study
- Program: Graduate Certificate
- Degree type: GCERT
- Campus: Blacksburg
- Term: (select your choice term of enrollment from the drop down)
- Certificate option: Public Health
- Complete the remaining application questions
- Return to Home screen to submit
To qualify for a waiver of the comprehensive fees (student activity, student cultural activities, health, athletic, transportation services, recreational, and student services fees), students must be stationed a minimum of 50 miles away from Blacksburg, and must not be required to attend any of Virginia Tech's satellite campuses and facilities during the term. More information and the waiver request form can be found here.
Students that have completed the Graduate Certificate in Public Health have the option to transfer all of the completed certificate courses into our Master of Public Health (MPH) degree program. Additionally, if a minimum grade of B was earned in all certificate courses, a GRE waiver is provided for this MPH application requirement.
Below are two suggested course sequencing documents to complete the MPH degree after completing the Graduate Certificate in Public Health. Additional course availability is presented. We are happy to work with students to arrange a course sequencing that fits their schedule.