VIRTUAL TOWN HALL
June 4, 2020
"What to Expect During Unexpected Times"
Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine’s fifth dean, M. Daniel Givens, DVM, PhD, DACT, DACVM (Virology), held a livestreaming town hall to discuss his ideas around the values that shape VA-MD Vet Med, specifically the enduring beliefs regarding the concrete and operational actions through which the college seeks to achieve its goals. He also discussed his service in the dean’s role and how he will engage with faculty, staff, students, alumni, and college partners in his decision-making process. In closing, Dean Givens answered questions submitted by the community.
Public Health Program at a glance
- First CEPH-accredited public health program in a veterinary college (Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine)
- Delivered in partnership with Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
- Signature research and practice areas include One Health and rural/Appalachian health
- Flexible program design allowing students to explore different academic interests
- Undergraduate (BSPH) program includes 33 additional major/minor/free electives
- Master of Public Health (MPH) students have access to more than 70 Virginia Tech Graduate Certificates
- Accelerated undergraduate/MPH program for exceptional Virginia Tech students from any major
- Small student-to-faculty ratio
- All MPH students are advised by a public health faculty member who provides career and academic mentoring
- A fully online Graduate Certificate in Public Health
- Dual degree programs include DVM/MPH and MD/MPH