Information for Returning Students
Returning students are encouraged to participate in the BSPH Peer Mentoring program as peer mentors! The program is a full academic year commitment (both fall & spring semesters), and is designed to be equally as beneficial to you as a mentor as it is to the mentees.
- Develop leadership skills, including practice in building and supporting teams
- Develop useful professional skills, including hosting meetings and writing concise progress updates
- Build effective communication skills, especially skills associated with team leadership and responsibility
- Gain a deeper understanding of programs and supports available to students at Virginia Tech
- Build a stronger sense of community within the BSPH department
- Host regular, informal meetings with your small group of mentees to check in on them, discuss relevant topis, and provide guidance
- Assist mentees adjust to the unique joys and stresses of college life
- Act as a support for your mentees in their social and academic life
- Help direct mentees to relevant offices for additional support
Time Commitment & Workload
- Mentors are expected to commit about 2-3 hours per week to their mentees. This includes preparation, hosting, and reporting on their mentee meetings.
- Mentors are expected to complete a few short trainings in the summer before they enter the program as a mentor. These trainings will cover being an effective academic and social support, as well as Title IX training and other important procedures. They are expected to be held virtually in late July / early August at a time to accommodate mentors with summer internships, jobs, co-ops, etc. These trainings should take no more than 3 hours total.
- Mentors will receive access to exclusive professional development opportunities and reception of a special cord at graduation. Peer Mentors will also have opportunity to develop strong leadership abilities, useful professional skills, and a stronger sense of community within the BSPH program.
Peer mentor applications for this cycle have closed, but check this website and your email for updates on future application cycles.