BSPH New Student Academic Advising & Course Registration
Welcome to Public Health!
We are looking forward to welcoming you as a Bachelor of Science in Public Health (BSPH) degree student!
This year, Virginia Tech will offer a hybrid orientation program that combines virtual modules and in-person events organized by both the university and degree program.
All transfer BSPH students are required to attend a virtual meeting with the Public Health Advising Team. At this meeting, you’ll discuss your schedule, public health’s advising and registration processes, and some key take-aways about new student transition events.
Keep checking your Virginia Tech email for important updates and announcements, including information about the university virtual orientation modules and the Public Health Academic Advising and Course Registration session.
The Public Health Advising Team is looking forward to meeting you and helping you make a smooth transition to Virginia Tech!
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (540) 231-3945
University New Student Checklist
Completing the university new student checklist will help ensure that your first semester goes well. The steps will guide you through everything from creating your username and password to completing your dining contract.
- Create your VT Username (PID)
- ENROLL in the 2-Factor Authentication with Duo http://www.tech.it.vt.edu/2factor
- DOWNLOAD the DUO Mobile App on your personal smartphone and enroll the device http://www.tech.it.vt.edu/2factor/
- ACCESS, READ, USE your VT Google Apps Mail Email daily. Your VT Email is how the college and your advisor will communicate with you.
- ADD your VT email to your smartphone. See how here.
- SIGN UP for Orientation. Spaces do fill up, so the earlier you register the more dates you’ll have to choose from. Please use the link emailed to you to register for Orientation.
- COMPLETE the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) if you wish to apply for financial aid. http://www.finaid.vt.edu
- COMPLETE and SUBMIT the immunization history form http://www.healthcenter.vt.edu/new_student/required_immunizations.html
- COMPLETE the housing/dining contract (requirement for first-year students) http://housing.vt.edu/contracts/apply/first_year_students.html and review living-learning community options: www.housing.vt.edu/llc
- SEND your official transcripts (high school) to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions once you have final grades.
- Office of Undergraduate Admissions, 925 Prices Fork Road, Blacksburg, VA 24061
- SEND all AP, IB, CLEP, and Cambridge scores to Virginia Tech’s Office of the University Registrar. AP & CLEP must be sent to VT from CollegeBoard (VT only processes scores received directly from the testing agency. VT will not process scores posted on your high school transcript.).
- Virginia Tech Registrar, Student Services Bldg, Suite 250, 800 Washington Street, Blacksburg, VA 24061. Use School Code #5859
- SEND official transcripts for dual enrollment courses or courses taken at other universities to Virginia Tech’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions
- We can receive transcripts through mail or electronic transfer (for example, through Parchment). If sent by mail, transcripts can be sent to the address below:
- Office of Undergraduate Admissions, Virginia Tech, 925 Prices Fork Road Blacksburg, VA 24061
University Orientation Requirements
As part of the Virginia Tech orientation process, first-year students are expected to complete the below two virtual modules from the university.
Your Public Health Advising Experience
You will receive an invitation to join the Public Health Academic Advising and Course Registration Canvas site in early June. Canvas is a learning management system that will be used by many of your professors.
You will be required to accept the invitation to join the Canvas site, review important information about the BSPH curriculum before the group advising session.
Check out the information below for what you should be doing before, during, and after your virtual group advising session with the Public Health Advising Team.
- Please note that all communications listed below will be sent to your Virginia Tech email, so make sure you check your email regularly.
- On June 13, prior to your advising appointment, students should register for the pre-loaded schedule that is recommended for your major. We ask that you register for the pre-loaded schedule and do not make further schedule changes until after your advising session. For registration instructions, please refer back to the registration module on using Hokie Scheduler.
- When you attend your virtual group advising session, an advisor will discuss course recommendations with you and answer any questions you may have about registration and degree requirements.
- As part of the orientation process, you will attend a virtual advising session with an academic advisor.
- Once you have met with an advisor, you will be able to make changes to your schedule through Hokie Scheduler.
- Make sure you have all these items available when you meet with your academic advisor:
- A charged cell phone for Virginia Tech two-factor authentication.
- Your Virginia Tech username and password.
- A list of all sources of anticipated credits (AP, IB, dual enrollment, etc.).
- Copies of credit information (transcripts, AP/IB scores, etc.).
After your virtual advising session, you will be able to make changes to your schedule. However, it is highly recommended that you do NOT make changes to first-year classes such as ENGL 1105, BIOL 1105, MATH 1014 or MATH 1025. These classes are in high demand and if you drop one of them, even accidentally, you may not get back in and will then risk falling behind in your program of study. If you have questions and feel a change to your schedule is needed, please contact your advisor.
Before you come to campus for move-in, make sure you review all information about where to go and where to check in, as well as how to access campus maps.
Undergraduate Public Health Programs Contact Information:
Phone: (540) 231-3945
Public Health Program
262 Wallace Hall (0395)
295 West Campus Drive
Blacksburg, VA 24061