The purpose of the GRE is to assess an applicant’s verbal and quantitative reasoning, critical thinking and analytical writing skills to evaluate his/her likely success in graduate-level programs. Applicants to the Master of Public Health (MPH) program must submit GRE scores with their application and the scores can be no older than five years. The GRE is not the only admissions requirement used to evaluate likely success in the MPH program, but it is an important one. Other MPH admissions requirements include an evaluation of the personal statement, work/volunteer experience, success with prior academic work, and reference letters. In some instances, applicants may request a waiver for the GRE requirement. This policy details the GRE waiver criteria.
Applicants who have taken another graduate-level standardized test, have demonstrated outstanding professional achievements and/or academic credentials may apply for a waiver of the GRE application requirement.
Waiver criteria* include:
- Other appropriate standardized test for graduate school (e.g., MCAT, DAT, OAT, PCAT, GMAT, LSAT, etc.)
- At least five years of professional work experience with evidence of promotions, honors/awards, or other achievements
- Distinguished U.S. military service with progressive increases in rank and honors/awards
- Completion of the Virginia Tech Graduate Certificate in Public Health with a minimum grade of B earned in all certificate courses
- Earned master’s degree (e.g., MS, MA, MSW, MSN, MBA, MPA, etc.), doctorate degree (e.g., DrPH, PhD, etc.), or professional degree (e.g., MD, DVM, DO, PharmD, JD, etc.) from a U.S.-accredited college or university**
- Have been accepted or are currently enrolled in a master's, doctoral, or professional degree program at Virginia Tech
- Publication of peer-reviewed journal articles, technical reports or other written scholarly products as primary or corresponding author
*The items listed above are subject to verification and review. Completion of these achievements does not automatically guarantee a GRE waiver.
**Degree programs from colleges and universities outside of the U.S. will also be considered, but are subject to additional review.
Applicants who wish to apply for a GRE waiver should email the GRE Waiver Application form found below and any required documentation to Program Assistant, Becky Jones (firstname.lastname@example.org).