The Public Health Program offers an Accelerated Undergraduate (UG) to Master of Public Health (MPH) Program for exceptional Virginia Tech UG students from any major who wish to start taking graduate-level (MPH) coursework during their UG senior year and then finish the MPH degree with just one additional year of study.
For students interested in applying to the UG/MPH program in Spring 2019 (Class of 2020 students), please contact us for application requirements. These applicants will apply by April 1, 2019. Other application requirements differ slightly from what is listed below.
Details regarding information sessions to learn more about the program can be found here.
- Students interested in the UG/MPH will complete a Minor in Public Health using a defined path for Accelerated UG/MPH Students.
- Students will apply to the MPH program during the spring of their junior year (January 15) and be admitted to the UG/MPH in time to enroll in MPH courses beginning in the fall semester of their senior year.
- Students will take 12 MPH credits during their senior year that can double-count both for undergraduate and graduate credit.
- A minimum grade of B must be earned in each course to be double counted. Courses must not be taken pass-fail if a graded option is available.
- Virginia Tech undergraduate students from any major may apply.
- Applicants must hold an undergraduate GPA of 3.5 in the last 60 credit hours. Applicants with a GPA below a 3.5 may be provisionally accepted, but must have a 3.5 GPA by the end of the spring semester of junior year.
- Students must complete two undergraduate public health courses (PHS 2004 Introduction to Public Health, 3 credits; PHS 4014 Public Health Program Planning, 3 credits) by the fall of their junior year. These courses are taken only for undergraduate credit.
- A minimum grade of B must be earned in each course for the student to be considered for the UG/MPH.
- Applicants must apply in spring (January 15) of their junior year.
- Applicants must submit the complete MPH application through the online Virginia Tech Graduate School admissions website. Select your MPH start date as the semester following completion of your undergraduate degree (Summer I).
- Application materials include:
- Personal statement, 1-2 pages, uploaded in the online application
- Resume or CV, uploaded in the online application
- GRE Scores, The institution code is 5859, and there is no department code. There is no minimum score for MPH applications; however, to ensure competitiveness, applicants are encouraged to have at least a score of 150 on the verbal section and 150 on the quantitative section. The MPH program waives the GRE admissions requirement in certain circumstances. You can find the waiver criteria and the waiver application here.
- 3 academic or professional letters of recommendation, to be completed in the online application, or mailed or emailed to the department. One letter of recommendation from the student's undergraduate advisor is required.
- Complete and submit the Graduate School's Accelerated Undergraduate/Graduate Degree and Course Designation form after submitting your online application.
- Selected applicants will be invited for interview prior to final admissions decision.